Interested in knowing how much you should pay for CrossFit?
We’ve looked at CrossFit membership prices around the United States and the world and after collecting over 1,400 data points, we’ve come up with some interesting discoveries. In the US, the average CrossFit membership costs $155.98 per month. Most CrossFit boxes offer memberships with unlimited visits.
What’s the most expensive country? Is NYC the most expensive state? Where on Earth is the cheapest box?
CrossFit Membership Prices Around The World
Below you can find a list of the average price for a unlimited CrossFit membership around the world. The most expensive countries are:
- Hong Kong, with an average monthly price of $315.63
- Korea, with an average monthly price of $250
- Cayman Islands, with an average monthly price of $240
The United States is ranked number 11, after countries like Japan, Australia and the United Kingdom.
|Rank||Country||Average Membership Price|
|10||United States 🇺🇸||$155.98|
CrossFit Membership Prices Around The United States
Below you can find a list of the average price for a unlimited CrossFit membership in every US state. The most expensive states are:
- District of Columbia, with an average monthly price of $260
- New York, with an average monthly price of $203.77
- Rhode Island, with an average monthly price of $183.50
Surprisingly, California is ranked number six, right after Hawaii.
|Rank||State Code||State||Average Membership Price|
|1||DC||District of Columbia||$260.00|
Price variations across Membership Types
We commontly see different types of memberships:
- 3 days per week
- 4 days per week
- 5 days per week
- Families and couples
- Others (Open Gym, Weightlifting, etc.)
Here’s a chart outlining the price variation across Membership types:
|Membership type||Average price|
Most expensive CrossFit gyms in the world
If you are curious, here’s the list of the 32 most expensive CrossFit gyms in the world. All of them are located in the United States, United Kingdom, Hong Kong, Japan or Dubai. Below you’ll find the 3 more expensive, in USD.
- Crossfit Asphodel in Hong Kong, at $351 per month for an unlimited membership.
- Crossfit Central in London, at $331.25 per month for an unlimited membership.
- CrossFit Vauxhall in London, at $331.25 per month for an unlimited membership.
Here’s a chart outlining the top 32 most expensive CrossFit gyms:
|1||Crossfit Asphodel||$351.00||Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
|2||CrossFit Central London||$331.25||London||United Kingdom|
|3||CrossFit Vauxhall||$331.25||London||United Kingdom|
|4||Crossfit SPOT||$329.00||New York||United States|
|5||Crossfit Spot||$329.00||New York||United States|
|6||Crossfit DogTown||$325.00||Los Angeles||United States|
|7||Crossfit 852||$318.50||Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
|8||Crossfit Solace||$315.00||New York||United States|
|9||Timberwolf Crossfit||$315.00||Saint Paul||United States|
|10||San Francisco CrossFit||$300.00||San Francisco||United States|
|11||Flagship||$300.00||San Francisco||United States|
|12||CrossFit Jaakarhu||$300.00||Austin||United States|
|13||Crossfit NYC||$299.00||New York City||United States|
|14||Coastal Fitness||$299.00||Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
|15||Arena Ready Crossfit||$299.00||San Francisco||United States|
|16||Crossfit LA (Oak Park)||$295.00||Los Angeles||United States|
|17||Coastal Fitness||$294.00||Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
|18||Flagship Athletic Performance||$290.00||San Francisco||United States|
|19||Flagship Athletic Performance||$290.00||San Francisco||United States|
|20||Paradiso Crossfit||$289.00||Los Angeles||United States|
|21||Potomac Crossfit||$285.00||Arlington||United States|
|23||CrossFit Evolving||$281.25||London||United Kingdom|
|24||CrossFit Evolving Kilburn||$281.25||London||United Kingdom|
|25||Diablo CrossFit Moxie||$279.00||San Jose||United States|
|26||Goose Island CrossFit||$276.00||Chicago||United States|
|27||Spry Society Academy of Fitness||$275.00||Culver City||United States|
|28||CrossFit Blackfriars||$275.00||London||United Kingdom|
|29||CrossFit Thames||$272.50||London||United Kingdom|
|30||Crossfit Platform||$272.00||Dubai||United Arab Emirates|
|31||Crossfit Gantry||$265.00||Long Island City||United States|
|32||Crossfit South Brooklyn||$265.00||Brooklyn||United States|
Interested where the raw data is coming? It was collected by combining manual research and surveys. If you want to take a look, you can download it here.
CrossFit Costs: The Complete Guide (And Ways to Lower Them)
It’s no secret that CrossFit is an expensive fitness routine or hobby, especially when compared to the average cost of a standard gym or recreation center.
Most CrossFitters will tell you that it’s well worth the price to join a box.
However, it may still be necessary to budget if you want to join a good gym and reap the benefits.
Fortunately, there are ways to get a cheaper—or even free—CrossFit membership. And if you’re looking just to take classes a few times a week, it’s actually pretty affordable when compared to similar fitness regimens.
Here’s everything you need to know about CrossFit costs when you’re getting started.
CrossFit Membership Prices
There are several factors that go into your monthly or annual CrossFit membership cost. Below is a breakdown of those numbers to help you pick the right option for you and be informed when shopping around.
Average CrossFit Gym Membership Prices
CrossFit membership prices range between $100 and $250 per month. The price depends on:
- The number of classes you take per week
- The location of your CrossFit gym (cities tend to be more expensive than rural areas)
- The quality of the gym
- Additional perks/benefits (nutrition coaching, boot camp classes, personal training, etc.)
This base fee typically entitles you to an “Unlimited” Membership and no additional perks. Things like personal training or nutrition coaching will usually cost extra.
How Much Is Unlimited CrossFit Box Option?
Nearly every CrossFit box offers an Unlimited class membership as their standard option. On average, you can expect to pay between $120 and $250 per month for an Unlimited Membership.
Unlimited CrossFit membership gives you access to as many group classes as you wish to attend during the month.
For most gyms, this means you can take any type of class, too. More and more, boxes are offering special classes, such as Olympic weightlifting, powerlifting, advanced CrossFit, yoga, and boot camps on top of their regular CrossFit offerings.
In some cases, though, you may have to pay extra for special classes. Especially if they bring in a third-party, such as a per-diem yoga instructor, to teach the class.
How Much Is CrossFit 3 Times a Week?
The average three-times per week membership will cost between $100 and $150 on average. This means you can take 3 classes each week, or a total of 12 workouts per month at the gym.
This membership option is desirable for people who want to split time between gyms, train for endurance or strength sports, or just dip their toes into the water with CrossFit. It’s also a great way to make sure you like CrossFit when you first start.
You might also see variations of this membership, such as 5 classes per week, 10 classes per month, etc. at some CrossFit gyms.
How Much Is CrossFit Personal Training?
CrossFit personal training starts at $60 per hour but can easily exceed $100 per hour, depending on the pedigree and qualifications of your trainer.
Most gyms don’t build personal training into their monthly membership costs for attending group classes. If you’d like to combine the two, ask your local gym to see what that might cost.
CrossFit personal training sessions shouldn’t be confused with onboarding, which some gyms require for new participants.
Onboarding is a three or four session workout, typically done one-on-one or in a small group, to help you learn the movements and get used to CrossFit. One-on-one personal training is for experienced CrossFitters with specific goals.
How Much Is CrossFit Virtual Training Membership?
CrossFit virtual training memberships can range from as low as $50 per month to the same price as the Unlimited Membership option at a gym. It really depends on the specific CrossFit gym and what their pricing model.
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, many CrossFit gyms began offering online or virtual workouts to members.
Many have stated they plan to continue these offerings after the pandemic settles down, so this could be an option long-term if you have some access to gym equipment at home.
CrossFit Cost FAQ
Here are some answers to other frequently asked questions about the cost of a CrossFit membership.
What Is the Average Drop-in Price for CrossFit?
CrossFit drop-ins cost between $15 and $30, although this can also fluctuate.
A drop-in is a one-time fee for one class. People who travel for work or visit new cities often take advantage of this. If you live in the city and are interested in joining, most boxes will let you take an intro class for free.
Some gyms offer other discounts or deals for drop-in workouts. For example, one popular offering is the “drop-in plus t-shirt” option. You get a shirt and class for one flat-fee. Or they just charge you for a t-shirt from their gym and give away the class for free.
Why Is CrossFit So Expensive?
It might seem like CrossFit is exorbitant in price compared to other fitness options. But when you break it down, you can see that you’re paying a fair rate for what you’re actually getting.
Here are some factors that go into the price:
- Space. CrossFit gyms are often built in large warehouses or open areas, which can drive up the price. The overhead of a CrossFit gym—insurance, building inspections, etc.—can also be pretty high.
- Gym equipment. Starting a box costs between $20,000 and $50,000 for a regular-sized gym. If the owner plans to offer additional classes or have access to specific equipment for other sports (i.e. Strongman gear or turf for athletes), it costs even more.
- Coaching staff. Part-time CrossFit coaches get paid an average of $20 to $40 per hour of class they teach. Full-time CrossFit coaches typically make between $35,000 and $50,000 plus benefits, but that number can be higher for experienced coaches.
Remember, classes are usually capped at between 8 and 15 people. Large classes often have 2 coaches for bigger groups. This means you are also receiving lots of one-on-one attention to improve your skills throughout class, which isn’t the case in many other fitness settings.
Other CrossFit Costs
Some other expenses that CrossFit gym owners must factor into their rates include:
- Gym equipment maintenance. Rowers, barbells, wall balls, and floor mats are just a few examples of equipment that needs quarterly or at least annual maintenance.
- Cleaning supplies. Keep in mind that many gyms will be held to more scrupulous standards after COVID.
- Heating and cooling costs. CrossFit membership prices in cold and hot weather climates could reflect this.
- Electricity/other utilities.
So while it doesn’t necessarily make it better that CrossFit is so expensive, you can at least see why gyms have to charge a premium for their memberships to make ends meet.
How Can You Make CrossFit Cheaper?
If the cost of CrossFit is making it hard for you to jump in, there are ways you can make it cheaper.
- Pay annually. Most gyms offer a 10 or 20 percent reduction in fees for signing 6 or 12 month contracts.
- Sign up for 3 classes per week and do your other workouts at home. Opting for the 3-classes-per week membership will save you money. You can do bodyweight workouts or go for runs on the other days.
- Build a home gym. A home gym will cost you between $2,500 and $5,000 to furnish with CrossFit gear. But this is a one-time fee (other than maintenance) that could save you money long term.
- Train virtually. Take advantage of online CrossFit memberships for the time being. CrossFit Invictus and CompTrain are two of the most popular ones for competitive athletes.
- Get your CrossFit L-1 certification and coach. Coaches often get a free membership at their gym, as well as unlimited access to the gym. The L-1 certification costs $1,000 but you can get paid to coach and workout for free!
- Work/intern for your membership in other ways. If you’re strapped for cash, call your local gym. See if you can workout a goods-for-services exchange to get a free or reduced membership. Offering to clean or provide child care for other members during classes are two popular options.
- Get really good at CrossFit. Many gyms let competitive CrossFit athletes train for free or at a reduced price. Or you might be able to acquire sponsors who will pay for your membership (as well as your food, gear, and other items).
While CrossFit costs are not the lowest in the world, you truly do get what you pay for. From access to high quality coaches to the awesome community vibes found in most boxes, there are so many benefits to getting a CrossFit membership.
Try a free intro class today and see if you like it. Some gyms will even let you work out for an entire week before you have to make your first payment!