For the average person, the Whoop band is not worth the price. But if you are an advanced or growth minded CrossFit athlete, data nerd, or just want to push your body to the limit, the Whoop band is 100% worth it. I have loved my Whoop band for over 2 years now (I’ve had the 3.0 & 4.0).
I find the Whoop recovery score to be an incredibly precise predictor of how I will feel in a workout.
If you want to find that next level of training at your box, I’d recommend the WHOOP band.
Common Questions about The Whoop Band
- Is WHOOP worth the money
Whoop costs $30/mo or $300 for 12 months ($25/mo) or $480 for 24 months ($20/mo). I believe it is worth the money. You must pay for 12 months regardless of what payment option you choose, so I would recommend the 12 or 24 month pre-payment option if you can afford it.
- Does the WHOOP band actually work
I have found the WHOOP band to work incredibly well for sleep tracking, as well as improving my performance at CrossFit. I’ve improved dramatically in the past 2 years using my WHOOP to guide when I can push a workout and when I need to take a rest day (or two!).
- Is a WHOOP 4.0 worth it
I did not find the WHOOP 4.0 to be a huge improvement over the 3.0 band. While you do get oxygen levels in the 4.0 I found the thicker 4.0 device to catch more often than the 3.0. The battery life also decreased by a day or two for me. I do like the 4.0 a ton, just not quite as much as the 3.0.
- Is there anything better than WHOOP
I use WHOOP and Apple Watch together, as both devices have their pros and cons. I have not tested other fitness trackers such as a Fitbit or Oura ring.
- Is WHOOP better than Apple Watch
I use both the WHOOP band (on my right wrist) and Apple Watch (on my left wrist). Both have strengths and weaknesses and I find the combination of both to be the best of both worlds.
- Is fitbit better than WHOOP
I have not ever tested a Fitbit device, so I can’t weigh in on the comparison.
- Can I wear my WHOOP 4.0 in the shower
Yes, I wear my WHOOP 4.0 band in the shower all the time. The Whoop 4.0 battery pack is waterproof, however I usually slip that off just in case. The older WHOOP 3.0 battery pack was not waterproof, so I think I just have that habit of taking it off. Both band devices (3.0 and 4.0) without the battery packs can be worn in the shower without issues.
- Does WHOOP work without membership
No, the WHOOP band device will not work without an active membership.
- Can WHOOP detect heart issues
The WHOOP will measure your resting heart rate, your HRV, as well as your heart rate during a workout. It does not contain an EKG device like the Apple Watch.
- Does WHOOP have a monthly fee
Yes, WHOOP’s monthly fee is $30 a month. You can prepay a year or two years to get that down to $25 and $20 annualized.
- How can I get free WHOOP
Your WHOOP device is “free” as in you pay monthly for the membership and get the device for free. When a new device is released, you do not pay for updated device. You may recycle or gift your old device when you receive your new one.
- Is WHOOP accurate for recovery
I’ve found the WHOOP Recovery % score to be the most accurate predictor of how I will feel in a workout. If my score is below 50%, it’s going to be a rough workout, if I am 80-90%, I can really push it. I like the confidence of knowing my score because it allows me to push through mentally in a workout sometimes because I know my heart is rested and ready to take on more strain.
- Are WHOOP straps worth it
I think so. With a very high battery life, and easy to change straps, I love my WHOOP strap device. If I had to pick my Apple Watch or WHOOP, it would be like choosing between my two children…very hard! (But let’s be honest, of course I have a favorite!)
- What is the average WHOOP recovery
The average WHOOP recovery, according to the company, is 58%. My average WHOOP recovery has been in the high 60’s with a 72% average in July 2022 and 63% in June 2022 for example.
- What is recovery percentage on WHOOP
The WHOOP recovery % percentage takes into account your HRV (heart rate variance), RHR (resting heart rate), Respiratory rate, and Sleep performance. Sleep performance is how much sleep you got vs. how much you need. The Whoop 4.0 also takes into account blood oxygen and skin temperature levels into your recovery score as well.
- How do you get higher recovery on WHOOP
For me, I get a higher recovery score by: sleeping more, eating less before bed, and avoiding alcohol. Everyone has different factors that impact them, so I would suggest recording your habits (WHOOP journal will prompt these questions and if you track enough factors, start to show which statistically impact your recovery the most).
- Why is my recovery score so low
There are dozens of factors that could impact your WHOOP recovery score. For me, my recovery score is low when I don’t get enough sleep, eat too much too close to bedtime, or drink alcohol. Stress and sickness have also lowered by recovery score.
- Is WHOOP for the average person
No, I would not recommend WHOOP for the average person. It is best for a high performance athlete or individual who really is committed to improving their fitness level. Or a CrossFitter of course!
- Does recovery affect strain WHOOP
Not directly no, your recovery score does not affect your strain. I have had very high strain days and still had a high recovery score that night. Strain can impact your recovery (it doesn’t for me, but does for other members), but not the other way around. With a lower recovery score, I may be more hesitant to take on a lot of strain that day however. But your recovery doesn’t directly affect strain, only your heart activity level increases your strain number.
Top Resources about The Whoop Band
- Only athletes should give a whoop about Whoop – The Whoop 4.0 is a recovery-focused fitness tracker with a lot of buzz, celebrity backers, and a devoted fan base. However, it’s ultimately an experimental niche wearable that’s too expensive for the average person. (theverge.com)
- Is the WHOOP Fitness Tracker Worth the Big Price Tag? – The bottom line: It ain’t cheap, but it could be worth it if you want more data about your health and fitness habits. (shape.com)
- What I Learned from a Month of Whoop – Tracking damn near everything can be a killjoy, but can a product focused on “passive data collection” make a difference? (gearpatrol.com)
- Whoop band – worth it or not? : r/whoop – Jun 5, 2020 … It’s all worth it for the monthly summary. I’ve got about 6 months of data and it’s been fascinating to see how much my fitness has changed from … (reddit.com)
- Whoop 4 Review + Discount [2022 Update] – Whoop 4 Review: More accurate compared to Garmin. Whoop 4.0 Discount Code 2022 get a free device & free band subscription month (the5krunner.com)
- Is Whoop Worth It? We Review the Popular Fitness Tracker – InsideHook. – InsideHook – The wellness world has a new billion-dollar brand. We recently put its famous band to the test. (insidehook.com)
- Whoop Review: Is it the Fitness Tracker of Your Dreams? – – What do you think of when I say the word Whoop? If you’re like me, the first thing that comes to mind is probably the early 90s song Whoomp, There It Is [Read More] (breakingeighty.com)
- The Ultimate WHOOP 4.0 Review (After 3 Years of Using WHOOP) – Hands-on review of the WHOOP Strap 4.0 from the perspective of an amateur CrossFit athlete, and a comparison with the WHOOP 3.0, Apple Watch, Biostrap and Oura Ring. (michaelkummer.com)
- Whoop 4.0 Review: Should you spend over $300 on its health tracking? – Reviewed – The Whoop 4.0 is a great fitness tracker, but more expensive than offerings from Fitbit, Garmin, Oura, and Samsung. (reviewed.com)
- This Fitness Band Is for Hardcore Athletes Only – The Whoop Strap 3.0 monitors your strain, recovery, and sleep to see how well your body is ready for the day’s (intense) activity. (wired.com)
- We Tried The Whoop Band to See if It’s Worth The Hype | Men’s Health Magazine Australia – Giving you information on workout strain and sleep quality, Whoop essentially feels like having a personal trainer or devoted coach in your corner. It’s not a step count for the masses that individuals simply try to target, but information that is sp (menshealth.com.au)
- Whoop 4.0 review: The fitness tracker you need to take your resolutions seriously | CNN Underscored – Whether you work out daily or you’ve been trying to kick-start the habit, a fitness tracker is a great way to enhance your exercise routine. While we’ve tested plenty of fitness trackers, over the last few months we’ve been trying the Whoop Strap 4.0 (cnn.com)
- WHOOP 4.0 – Smaller, smarter, and designed to go Any-Wear™ with five day battery life and on-the-go charging for true 24/7 heart rate monitoring. (whoop.com)
- WHOOP Band Review 2022 – The WHOOP band is a wearable fitness tracker that also monitors recovery and sleep metrics. Our hands-on WHOOP review covers all aspects of the popular device. (sleepfoundation.org)
- WHOOP – The most advanced fitness and health wearable. Get personalized insights on your body’s recovery, strain, sleep, and health with in-app coaching features designed to help you unlock your best self. (whoop.com)
- Whoop vs Oura: What’s the Best Wearable for Sleep and Recovery Optimization? – Fin vs Fin – Tracking your vitals to optimize sleep and recovery is now easier than ever with wearables like Whoop and Oura. We compare Oura’s ring vs Whoop’s wrist strap to help you decide which is best. (finvsfin.com)
- Whoop 4.0 Review: I Still Can’t Recommend It – Power Moves – After two months of testing, I can’t recommend Whoop 4.0. I planned to use my Whoop 4.0 for six months, as I did with my Whoop 3.0, but I ran into the same data accuracy issues. The devices are identically flawed when it comes to data, and the 4.0 … (powermoves.blog)
- Whoop 4.0 Band & Platform In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker – It’s been a few months since Whoop announced their new Whoop 4.0 sensor, and after enough use for me to … (dcrainmaker.com)
- Whoop strap review: What makes the fitness tracker different to other bands? | The Independent – We tried Whoop’s fitness tracker strap and membership experience, but is it worth subscribing? Read our review (independent.co.uk)
- Whoop 3.0 Band & Platform In-Depth Review | DC Rainmaker – The Whoop platform is one of the most talked about athlete analytics platforms in recent years, but is it actually accurate? And if so, is it actually useful? I spent months comparing data to find out. Here’s my in-depth findings. (dcrainmaker.com)